Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Exempt Organizations - Application Forms

Where Is My Exemption Application?

Most organizations seeking recognition of ex­emption from federal income tax must use spe­cific application forms prescribed by the IRS. Two forms currently required by the IRS are Form 1023, Application for Recognition of Ex­emption Under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, and Form 1024, Application for Recognition of Exemption Under Section 501(a).  For information about how to obtain the latest revision, see Forms and Publications.

The law requires the payment of a user fee for determination letter requests such as your application for recognition of tax-exempt status.  Your payment must accompany your request.  The IRS will not process a request unless the fee has been paid.

To obtain current information about how long it takes to process an application, see Where Is My Exemption Application?

Return to Life Cycle of a Social Welfare Organization

Return to Life Cycle of a Labor Organization

Return to Life Cycle of an Agricultural or Horticultural Organization

Return to Life Cycle of a Business League (Trade Association)