To help us better understand certain types of organizations that have claimed tax-exempt status without being recognized by the IRS as exempt, and to learn how they satisfy their exemption requirements, Exempt Organizations asked more than 1,000 self-declared section 501(c)(4), (c)(5) and (c)(6) organizations to complete the Self-Declarers Questionnaire.
The questionnaire is now closed.
View/print a reference-only copy of the questionnaire.
- Self-Declarers Questionnaire - Letter and Instructions (reference copy)
- Questions and Answers about Self-Declarers Questionnaire
- Publication 4386, Compliance Checks
- Social Welfare Organizations
- Life Cycle of a 501(c)(4) Social Welfare Organization
- Labor and Agricultural Organizations
- Life Cycle of a 501(c)(5) Agricultural/Horticultural Organization
- Life Cycle of a 501(c)(5) Labor Organization
- Business Leagues
- Life Cycle of a 501(c)(6) Business League (Trade Association)
- Form 1024, Application for Recognition of Exemption Under Section 501(a)
- Instructions for Form 1024
- Publication 557, Tax-Exempt Status for Your Organization
- Publication 598, Tax on Unrelated Business Income of Exempt Organizations