How do I renew my ITIN?

You should submit a completed Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, and all required identification documents to the IRS. If you’re renewing an existing ITIN, you may submit your Form W-7 renewal application (without filing a tax return) immediately. Spouses and dependents who renew their ITIN must be listed on an attached U.S. federal tax return with the schedule or form that applies to the allowable tax benefit. If you don’t renew your expired ITIN and you file a U.S. federal tax return with the expired ITIN, there may be a delay in processing your tax return. All family members who were issued an ITIN may submit a Form W-7 at the same time.  

Be sure to attach all required identification documents as indicated in the Revised Applications Standards. Only originals of identification documents or certified copies of the documents from the issuing agency will be accepted.

See Frequently Asked Questions regarding ITIN expirations.

Where do I apply to renew my ITIN?

Option 1

Mail your W-7, proof of identity and foreign status documents to:

Internal Revenue Service
Austin Service Center
ITIN Operation
P.O. Box 149342
Austin, TX 78714-9342

We’ll return your identification documents within 14 weeks. Send your application to us early to avoid delays in processing your next tax return.

Option 2

Apply for an ITIN in person using the services of an IRS-authorized Certifying Acceptance Agent. This will prevent you from having to mail us your original identification documents. 

Option 3

Make an appointment at a designated IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center that authenticates W-7 documents. This also prevents you from having to mail us your original identification documents.

After processing, the IRS will issue your ITIN assignment notice through the mail.