Use Free File Software if your income is $69,000 or less and Free File Fillable Forms if your income is greater than $69,000.
IRS Free File is a partnership between the IRS and the Free File Alliance, a group of industry-leading private-sector tax preparation companies that have agreed to provide free commercial online tax preparation and electronic filing. Read more about our partnership.
We do not endorse any individual Free File Alliance company or retain any taxpayer information entered on the Free File site.
Are these programs safe? Yes. Your information is protected from any unauthorized access while it is sent to the IRS. The companies may not disclose or use tax return information for purposes other than tax return preparation without your informed and voluntary consent. These companies are also subject to the Federal Trade Commission Privacy and Safeguards Rules and IRS e-file regulations.
What information will the IRS collect or retain about me using Free File? None. Our policy prohibits the use of permanent Internet cookies. We sometimes use “temporary” or “session” cookies to make sure you are the correct recipient of information you requested. These are deleted when your Internet visit ends.
What can I do if I am not able to get into a Free File company from IRS.gov? This problem may be due to your Internet service provider, your Internet security software and/or your IT department blocking expected information in the web request from your browser. This information is necessary to protect both you and IRS.gov systems from improper use such as phishing and other security threats. Unfortunately, due to the many differences between Internet browsers and individual computer configurations, we are unable to suggest Internet settings or configurations for you. Try selecting another company; use another computer or another browser.
How do I check the status of my refund? Get up-to-date refund information using Where's My Refund?
How do I get a copy of my return? Always remember to print your return after you successfully e-file. If you forget to print your return, order a free transcript from IRS. Depending on the type of transcript you request, you'll get more or less of the information from your return.
Free File Software provides free federal tax prep and e-file for taxpayers. Select a brand name software program, create an account and then the software guides you through return preparation.
- Use free brand-name software to prepare and print.
- Software guides you through return preparation.
- Need Help with an error or the software? Contact the company for free customer service.
- State return preparation and e-file is available for free but fees may apply.
- Available if your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) is $69,000 or less.
- Offers the most commonly used forms.
File Fillable Forms is a FREE forms-based tool enabling you to select your income tax forms, enter your tax information, print and e-file your federal tax return. If you’re not comfortable completing a paper return by hand, without software to guide you, you should consider another method of filing your tax return.
- The program performs only basic calculations.
- The program doesn’t have extensive error checking.
- Are you a first time user? Check out the User Guide before you begin.
- Make sure to check your work before you e-file.
- You are responsible for all the information on the return.
- State tax return preparation is not part of the program.
- You can only file your current year tax return.
- Once your return is accepted, you can’t make changes with this program.
- Need Help? If your return was rejected, you may use our Help page to fix the problem.
- If you can't fix your problem, use another e-file program.
- Important: If you have an older browser, make sure to update your version to get a better experience. Outdated browsers are known to cause display and printing errors. For more information, see minimum computer requirements.