Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Clarification on Code P Reporting in Box 12 of the 2018 Form W-2 -- 19-MAR-2019

Some employers have reported nontaxable reimbursements for 2017 moves and other reimbursements under code P for 2018. The only amounts to be reported under code P for 2018 are excludable moving expense reimbursements paid directly to a member of the U.S. Armed Forces who moves per a military order and incident to a permanent change of station. Employers should not report any other amounts under code P for 2018.

Employers who reported an amount in Box 12, code P, for 2018 that should not have been reported may inform their employees to disregard that amount.  No corrected forms need to be filed with the SSA or the IRS or need to be furnished to employees for 2018 to remove amounts reported under code P for 2018 that should not have been reported. These employers can also inform their employees to omit the Box 12, code P, amount when entering their Form W-2 information into tax return preparation software.