IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

ITG FAQ #2 Answer-Is there any way I can get an extension of time to file my information reports (W-2, W-2G, 1099, etc.)?

In case you are not able to file your information reports timely, you may use Form 8809, Request for Extension of Time to File Information Returns, to request an extension of time (30 days) to file Forms W-2, W-2G, 1042-S, 1098, 1099, 5498, and 8027. Remember that an extension cannot be granted if a request is filed after the due date of the original returns. The extension is not automatically granted; you must have a valid reason why the returns cannot be filed timely. If the extension is used, remember to attach a copy of the approval or if the returns are filed before the approval is granted, a copy of the Form 8809.

If filing electronically, the request for the extension will have to be made electronically. Refer to Publication 1220, Specifications for Filing Forms 1098, 1099, 5498, and W-2G Electronically and Magnetically, Part D. General instructions and format for filing information returns electronically are included in the publication. For assistance, contact the IRS/MCC Information Reporting Program Customer Service Section (IRP/CSS) toll-free at 
1-866-455-7438, Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 EST or e-mail.

Return to List of FAQs

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 18-Jan-2017