IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

ITG FAQ #2 Answer-What other withholdings might an employer encounter?

Many states require the employer to withhold state income taxes. Whether or not a tribal member is subject to state income taxes may depend on which tribe the individual is enrolled in, where the individual works, or where the individual lives. You should contact your state taxing authority for further information on their requirements.

Involuntary deductions from an employee’s paycheck such as a court ordered judgment, a tax levy, or court enforced child support payments are required to be withheld by the employer and submitted to the appropriate agency, even if the employee disagrees with the process. The employee’s wages are taxed before the involuntary deductions are withheld.

Return to List of FAQs

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 11-Oct-2016