ITG FAQ #7 Answer-How do I find out which tribes are federally recognized tribes?

This information can be found from a variety of sources. Following are some of the sources available:

  • Contact the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Office of Public Affairs, 1849 C Street, N.W., Mail Stop 4542-MIB, Washington, DC 20240-0001. Office: 202-208-3711. Fax: 202-501-1516.
  • Refer to Revenue Procedure 2008-55. This document contains a list of the federally recognized tribes.
  • Contact the IRS, Office of Indian Tribal Governments at 202-317-8900 or you may write to this address: Internal Revenue Service, T:GE:ITG, 1111 Constitution Avenue N.W., Washington, D.C. 20224. The Office of Indian Tribal Governments’ web site address is: /tribes.

Return to List of FAQs