IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Child Tax Credit

Question: Can a noncustodial parent claim the child tax credit for his or her child?


The noncustodial parent can claim the child tax credit for a child only if he or she is allowed to claim the child’s dependency exemption and meets the requirements for claiming the child tax credit.

The noncustodial parent must also attach to his or her return a Form 8332, Release/Revocation of Release of Claim to Exemption for Child by Custodial Parent, signed by the custodial parent.

For information on who qualifies for the credit, taxpayer identification number requirements, and how to calculate the credit, see the Instructions for Form 1040 or Instructions for Form 1040A, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

Additional Information:

Category: Childcare Credit, Other Credits
Subcategory: Child Tax Credit

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224