Like - Click this link to Add this page to your bookmarks Share - Click this link to Share this page through email or social media Print - Click this link to Print this page
Child Tax Credit
Question: Can I claim both the child tax credit and the child and dependent care credit?
You can claim both the child tax credit and the child and dependent care credit on the same return if you qualify for both credits.
- If you qualify for one or both credits, you can claim the credits on Form 1040, Form 1040A, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, or Form 1040NR, U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return. In addition, to claim the dependent care credit, you must complete Form 2441, Child and Dependent Care Expenses.
- The Instructions for Form 1040 and the Instructions for Form 1040A explain who qualifies for the child tax credit, taxpayer identification number requirements, and how to calculate the credit.
- If you are claiming the child tax credit for a dependent child who has an ITIN, complete Part I of Schedule 8812 (Form 1040A or 1040), Child Tax Credit, and attach it to your Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040NR.
- If you are claiming the additional child tax credit, complete Parts II - IV of Schedule 8812 (Form 1040A or 1040).
- The Instructions for Form 2441 explain who qualifies for the dependent care credit and how to calculate it.
- Is My Child a Qualifying Child for the Child Tax Credit?
- Publication 972, Child Tax Credit
- Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax for Individuals
- Am I Eligible to Claim the Child and Dependent Care Credit?
Category: Childcare Credit, Other Credits
Subcategory: Child Tax Credit