IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled

Question: Can I claim the credit for the elderly or the permanently and totally disabled?


If you're a U.S. citizen or resident, you may qualify for this credit if before the end of 2016 —

  • you were age 65 or older; or
  • you retired on permanent and total disability and received taxable disability income.

Married individuals must file a joint return to claim the credit unless they qualify as married living apart.

Even if you meet the above tests, you can't claim the credit if either of the following exceeds certain amounts:

  • your adjusted gross income; or
  • the total of your nontaxable social security benefits, nontaxable pensions, nontaxable annuities and nontaxable disability income.

For more information, see Publication 524, Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled.

Additional Information:

Category: Childcare Credit, Other Credits
Subcategory: Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224