IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Other EITC Issues

Question: Can I claim the earned income credit on Form 1040EZ?


Yes, you can use Form 1040EZ, Income Tax Return for Single and Joint Filers With No Dependents, to claim the earned income credit (EIC), provided you don't have a qualifying child and your investment income is $3,400 or less (for 2016). Your investment income is the total amount of interest from line 2 of Form 1040EZ and any tax-exempt interest.

If you don't meet the requirements for filing Form 1040EZ, you must use Form 1040A or Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return; but if your investment income is more than $3,400, you can't claim the EIC.

Additional Information:

Category: Earned Income Tax Credit
Subcategory: Other EITC Issues

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224