IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

1099-MISC, Independent Contractors, and Self-Employed

Question: I received an AmeriCorps Education Award and an income statement for it. Are these payments taxable?


Yes, AmeriCorps Education Awards are taxable in the year they are paid. If you receive an award and the payment was $600 or more during the year, you should receive a Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income. The 1099-MISC will show the amount of the award in box 3, Other Income, with no withholding. Report the payment amount on the "Other income" line of Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, even if you do not receive Form 1099-MISC.

Visit AmeriCorps for more information on the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award programs.

Additional Information:

Category: Interest, Dividends, Other Types of Income
Subcategory: 1099-MISC, Independent Contractors, and Self-Employed

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224