IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Savings Bonds

Question: I cashed some Series E, Series EE, and Series I savings bonds. How do I report the interest?


If you didn't report the increase in the redemption value of the bonds as interest annually and you didn't report the interest in the year of maturity, you must report all interest in the year the bonds are redeemed.

  • If your total taxable interest for the year is more than $1500, you must complete Schedule B (Form 1040A or 1040), Interest and Ordinary Dividends, Part 1, and attach it to your Form 1040 or Form 1040A, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.
  • If your total interest isn't more than $1500 for the year, report the savings bond interest with your other interest on the "Interest" line of your tax return.

Exception: Some or all of the interest may be excludable from your gross income if you pay qualified higher education expenses for yourself, your spouse, or your dependent (for whom you claim an exemption) during the year.

Additional Information:

Category: Interest, Dividends, Other Types of Income
Subcategory: Savings Bonds

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224