IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page


Question: I am filing my 2016 U.S. tax return from a foreign country and am eligible for the automatic 2-month extension. Does the IRS need to receive my return by June 15, 2017, or can it just be postmarked by June 15, 2017?


U.S. citizens and resident aliens who file calendar year individual returns are required to file a tax return by April 18, 2017. However, if you’re living and working overseas on the due date, you receive an automatic extension of two months (generally until June 15 for calendar year filers) upon request using Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. Your return must be postmarked by June 15, 2017.

Consider using a designated delivery service to ensure the delivery of your international correspondence. An individual federal tax return properly mailed from a foreign country or sent via a designated delivery service that's officially postmarked or dated in the foreign country or by the delivery service on or before the due date is considered to have been filed timely upon receipt by the IRS. If the last date for filing falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, you must file your return by the next day which isn't a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday. Keep your proof of international postage.

Additional Information:

Category: IRS Procedures
Subcategory: Extensions

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224