IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Notices & Letters

Question: I received a letter from the IRS indicating that due to my misprint of my daughter's social security number, my claim for her dependency exemption was denied. Can I correct it to receive the exemption?


If you're entitled to the exemption because your child qualifies as your dependent, you may protest the denial of the exemption. To correct your return, you must give us your daughter's correct name, social security number, and date of birth. Call the phone number listed in the upper right-hand corner of your letter to request the correction, or mail the correct information with a copy of the IRS letter in the envelope provided.

Category: IRS Procedures
Subcategory: Notices & Letters

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224