IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Reporting Fraud

Question: What can I do if I think someone has filed a tax return using my social security number?


The IRS has security measures in place to verify the accuracy of tax returns and the validity of social security numbers (SSNs) or individual taxpayer identification numbers (ITINs) submitted.

  • If you receive a notice from the IRS that leads you to believe someone may have used your SSN (or ITIN) fraudulently, please notify the IRS immediately by responding to the name and number printed on the notice or letter.
  • If you are an actual or potential victim of identity theft and would like the IRS to mark your account to identify any questionable activity, please complete Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit. See the "Instructions for Submitting this Form" in Form 14039, for information on submitting it by mail or fax.
  • You may also contact the IRS for specialized assistance at 800-908-4490. These IRS employees are available to answer questions about identity theft and resolve any tax account issues that resulted from identity theft.
  • Review Publication 5027, Identity Theft Information for Taxpayers, for more information. It is available in English and Spanish.
  • If you suspect someone else is using your SSN, visit the Federal Trade Commission website, can help you report and recover from identity theft.

Additional Information:

Category: IRS Procedures
Subcategory: Reporting Fraud

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224