IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Education & Work-Related Expenses

Question: My employer reimbursed me for my graduate school tuition and included it on my W-2 as wages. The program improves skills needed in my current field of employment but doesn't qualify me for a new trade or business. Where can I claim this educational expense on my Form 1040?


Because your employer included your tuition reimbursement in your wages, you're treated as paying the tuition yourself out-of-pocket. To determine where to claim the educational expense, review all of the education credits and deductions available for the tax year. 

Also review your eligibility for taking the expense as a miscellaneous itemized deduction on Schedule A (Form 1040), Itemized Deductions. When claiming the itemized deduction:

  • You may need to attach Form 2106, Employee Business Expenses.
  • Your deduction will be the amount by which your qualifying work-related education expenses plus other job and certain miscellaneous expenses is greater than 2% of your adjusted gross income (AGI).

Additional Information:

Category: Itemized Deductions, Standard Deduction
Subcategory: Education & Work-Related Expenses

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224