IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Form SS-4 & Employer Identification Number (EIN)

Question: Under what circumstances am I required to change my employer identification number (EIN)?


If you already have an EIN, and the organization (entity) or ownership of your business changes, you may need to apply for a new number.

Some of the circumstances under which a new number is required are as follows:

  • An existing business is purchased or inherited by an individual who'll operate it as a sole proprietorship.
  • A sole proprietorship changes to a corporation or a partnership.
  • A sole proprietorship files for bankruptcy under Chapter 7 (liquidation) or Chapter 11 (reorganization).
  • A sole proprietorship establishes a pension, profit sharing, or retirement plan.
  • A partnership changes to a corporation.
  • A corporation changes to a partnership.
  • An individual owner of a sole proprietorship dies and the estate takes over the business.

This list isn't all inclusive. Please refer to Employer ID Numbers.

Additional Information:

Category: Small Business, Self-Employed, Other Business
Subcategory: Form SS-4 & Employer Identification Number (EIN)

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224