IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Form SS-4 & Employer Identification Number (EIN)

Question: Do businesses have to obtain the taxpayer identification number (TIN) from vendors and keep it somewhere on file?


In general, businesses are required to obtain the TIN from vendors if they're required to file any information return, document or other statement that calls for the TINs of other taxpayers. Form W-9, Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification, can be used to make the request. The business should also maintain the verification of these numbers in their records.

If the recipient is a foreign person, the IRS suggests that you request that the recipient complete the appropriate Form W-8. For more information on completing these forms and when a U.S. TIN is required to be included, see the Instructions for the Requester of Forms W–8BEN, W–8BEN–E, W–8ECI, W–8EXP, and W–8IMY.

Additional Information:

Category: Small Business, Self-Employed, Other Business
Subcategory: Form SS-4 & Employer Identification Number (EIN)

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224