You don’t need a permanent address to receive Economic Impact Payments

April 22, 2021

You can get an Economic Impact Payment even if you don't have a permanent address.

However, the only way for the IRS know if you qualify is for you to file a basic 2020 tax return even if you don't usually file. That way the IRS will know how and where to send the payment.

You can still qualify for the first two Economic Impact Payments when you file by claiming the Recovery Rebate Credit. When your 2020 tax return is processed, your credit will be included in your tax refund. The IRS will send you any third EIP amount you are eligible for separately.

Use IRS Free File to file your tax return and choose direct deposit to get your refund and third EIP payment. If you're experiencing homelessness you may list the address of a friend, relative or trusted service provider, such as a shelter, drop-in day center or transitional housing program, on your tax return.

If you can't choose direct deposit, the IRS will first mail your tax refund, and then your third Economic Impact Payment, to this address.

If you would like to have your payment direct deposited, many financial institutions will help you open a low-cost or no-cost bank account. Visit the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation website for details on opening an account online or use the FDIC's BankFind tool to locate an FDIC-insured bank.

Reloadable prepaid debit cards or mobile payment apps with routing and account numbers may also be an option to get your payments.

Visit for details.