INNOCENT SPOUSE - Online Self-Help Tool (9)
The IRS needs more information. Here are some examples of information that can support your appeal:
- Tell us why you believe the income is not yours.
- Include information or records to show the income is not yours.
Tips for preparing your statement when completing Form 12509
It’s easier to understand your information if you present it in chronological order and give specific dates. Include facts and details about your situation such as:
- If or when you separated.
- Explain who handled your finances during your marriage.
- Your education and occupation are important to include.
- Include your spouse or former spouse’s name, address and social security number (if known).
- A current phone number to reach you during the day.
Your completed Form 12509 and any additional information needs to be sent to the office that sent you the preliminary determination letter. Do not send your completed form to an Appeals Office. This will delay the processing of your case.