Letter 1961C Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What is the letter telling me?

This letter is in response to an oral or written request for a Direct Debit Installment Agreement. It explains why your request for a Direct Debit could not be granted and the steps you need to take to qualify for a Direct Debit Installment Agreement.

What do I have to do?

You need to complete the Form 433 and return it to us with your bank account and routing numbers.

How much time do I have?

You should return this information to us as soon as possible.

What happens if I don't take any action?

If you do not make an arrangement to pay the balance you owe, enforced collection action may be taken to collect the amount you owe, including the filing of a Notice of Federal Tax Lien, or garnishment of your wages and/or bank accounts.

Who should I contact?

If you have any questions about this letter, call us at the number printed in the letter. The person who answers the phone will assist you.

What if I don't agree or have already taken corrective action?

If you do not agree with this letter, call us immediately at the number included. We will do our best to help you. If you have called us about this matter before, but we did not correct the problem, you may want to contact the Office of the Taxpayer Advocate.