Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Single and Joint Filers With No Dependents
Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate


Request for Transcript of Tax Returns
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Installment Agreement Request
Wage and Tax Statement

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Letter 2271C Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What is the letter telling me?

This letter confirms your financial request for an Installment Agreement has been approved.  It explains the fees we charge for establishing your agreement.  It also explains what to do if you qualify for a Low Income Fee Reduction.  This letter can also request missing information need based on the financial you previously provided.

What do I have to do?

The letter tells you what your payment due date is. You should mail your payment to us 10 days prior to the due date.  It tells you what items you need to put on your check so it can be correctly identified and applied to your account. If the letter is requesting more information, please provid the requested information.

How much time do I have?

The letter tells you the date when you first payment is due or the date you should return the requested information.

What happens if I don't take any action?

If installment payments are not received as agreed or requested documentation is not received, we can proceed with enforcement action and may file a levy on your wages or bank account or file a lien on your personal property.

Who should I contact?

If you have any questions about this letter, call us at the number printed in the letter. The person who answers the phone will assist you.

What if I don't agree or have already taken corrective action?

If you do not agree with this letter, call us immediately at the number included. We will do our best to help you.  If you have called us about this matter before, but we did not correct the problem, you may want to contact the Office of the Taxpayer Advocate.