Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Single and Joint Filers With No Dependents
Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate


Request for Transcript of Tax Returns
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Installment Agreement Request
Wage and Tax Statement

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Letter 2357C Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What is the letter telling me?

The letter is informing you that we failed to send you the balance due notices we should have sent you.

What do I have to do?

Pay the balance due in the letter as soon as possible.

How much time do I have?

The letter provides you the full pay amount to a specified date.

What happens if I don't take any action?

If you do not make arrangements to pay the balance you owe, we can proceed with enforcement action and may file a levy on your wages or bank account or file a lien on your personal property.

Who should I contact?

If you have any questions about this letter, call us at the number printed in the letter. The person who answers the phone will assist you.

What if I don't agree or have already taken corrective action?

If you do not agree with this letter, call us immediately at the number included. We will do our best to help you. If you have called us about this matter before, but we did not correct the problem, you may want to contact the Office of the Taxpayer Advocate.