IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Letter 2761C Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What is the letter telling me?

The letter is requesting your combat zone service dates to ensure that we provide you with the special provisions and protection of the combat zone deferment. It may also request copies of military orders or other documentation to support your time served in a combat zone. If you are a civilian working in support of the Armed Forces, it may ask for a Letter of Authorization or a letter from your employer.

What do I have to do?

Provide us with documentation, if requested, and your entry and exit dates in and out of the Combat Zone based on your military orders.

How much time do I have?

The letter will provide you when and where the information needs to be returned to.

What happens if I don't take any action?

If you do not provide us these dates, you will not receive the penalty and interest reductions that servicemen and women and qualified civilians are entitled to under Internal Revenue Code (IRC) 7508 or the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act.

Who should I contact?

If you have any questions about this letter, call us at the number printed in the letter. The person who answers the phone will assist you.

What if I don't agree or have already taken corrective action?

If you do not agree with this letter, call us immediately at the number included. We will do our best to help you. If you have called us about this matter before, but we did not correct the problem, you may want to contact the Office of the Taxpayer Advocate.

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 27-Jan-2016