Tax Trails - Are Your Work-Related Educational Expenses Deductible?
Your educational expenses qualify (but you must reduce them by the amount of any reimbursement).
Deductible expenses include:
- Tuition, books, supplies, lab fees, and similar items
- Certain transportation and travel costs
- Other education expenses, such as the cost of research and typing when writing a paper
No double benefit is allowed.
- You can't deduct either of the following:
- Expenses you benefit from under any other provision of the law
- Expenses paid with tax-free scholarship, grant, or employer-provided educational assistance
Include this amount with your deduction for any other employee business expenses on Schedule A (Form 1040), Itemized Deductions, or Schedule A in Form 1040NR, U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return. This deduction is subject to a 2% limit of your adjusted gross income.
For more information, see Chapter 12, Business Deduction for Work-Related Education Expenses, in Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education.