Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Tax Trails - Can You Claim Exemption from Withholding on Form W-4?

Note: Don't use this tax trail if you're 65 or older or blind, if another person can claim you as a dependent on his or her tax return, or if you will itemize your deductions, claim dependents or tax credits. Instead, see the discussion under Exemption from Withholding in Chapter 1 of Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax.

You can claim exemption from withholding for the current year only if both the following situations apply:

  1. For the prior year, you had a right to a refund of all federal income tax withheld because you had no tax liability, and
  2. For the current year, you expect a refund of all federal income tax withheld because you expect to have no tax liability.

Do you expect both of the above conditions to apply for 2019?

Yes       No


Main Menu