Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Tax Trails - Filing Status of a U.S. Citizen or Resident Alien Married to a Nonresident Alien

Generally, a U.S. citizen or resident alien who is married to a nonresident alien uses the married filing separately filing status. However, answer the following questions to see if you qualify to choose a different filing status.

Have you and your nonresident alien spouse made the special election to file a joint return in which your spouse agrees to be treated as a resident alien for tax purposes?

See Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens for details regarding this special election.

Yes    No


Main Menu