You owe a balance due as a result of amending your tax return to show receipt of a grant received as a result of Hurricane Katrina, Rita or Wilma.
What you need to do
- Submit the required payment by the date stated under "Billing Summary."
- If you can’t pay the amount in full, pay as much as you can now and make payment arrangements for the remainder. For more information such as installment payment plans check out this link or call us at 1-800-829-8374.
You may want to
- Download copies of the following materials:
Answers to common questions
If I am unable to pay the full amount by the date shown on the notice, will I have to pay interest on the entire amount?
If you pay the balance due by the date on the notice you won’t be charged interest. If you don’t pay the full amount due by the date on the notice, interest will be charged on the unpaid portion.
If interest is charged, will it be computed from the original due date of the return?
No, interest starts from the balance due date shown under the "Billing Summary."
Will I be assessed a late payment penalty on the unpaid amount?
If you're unable to pay the amount shown in this specific notice due to circumstances beyond your control, please contact us at 1-800-829-0922. Depending on your situation, your penalty may be abated. It’s important that you contact us if you're unable to pay the full amount by the due date on the notice.
Tax publications you may find useful
- Publication 544, Sales and Other Dispositions of Assets (PDF)
- Publication 547, Casualties, Disasters, and Thefts (PDF)
- Publication 551, Basis of Assets (PDF)
- Publication 4492, Information on Taxpayers Affected by Hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Wilma (PDF)
- Notice 2008-95, Notice to Address Amended Returns for Hurricane-Related Casualty Losses and Subsequent Grants Reimbursing Such Losses
- Full list of tax forms and instructions
How to get help
- Call the 800, 866 or 888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
- Authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (PDF)
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.