Understanding Your CP11R Notice

What this notice is about

We made changes to your return involving the Recovery Rebate Credit. You owe money on your taxes as a result of these changes.

What you need to do

  • Read your notice carefully. It will explain how the changes we made affected the Recovery Rebate Credit.
  • Pay the amount owed by the date on the notice’s coupon.
  • Make payment arrangements if you can't pay the full amount you owe.
  • Contact us within 60 days of the date of your notice if you disagree with the change we made.
  • Correct the copy of your tax return that you kept for your records, but do not send it to us.

You may want to

Learn more about your payment options and how to make a payment arrangement.

Frequently asked questions

How can I find out what caused my tax return to change?
Read your notice carefully. For additional clarification, contact us at the number on your notice.

What should I do if I disagree with the changes you made?
If you disagree, call the toll-free number on the top right corner of your notice, or respond by mail to the address on your notice. If you write to us, include a copy of the notice along with your correspondence or documentation.

If you contact us within 60 days from the date of this notice, we'll reverse the change we made to your account. However, if you can’t provide us additional information that justifies the reversal and we believe the reversal is in error, we'll forward your case for audit. This step gives you formal appeal rights, including the right to appeal our decision in court before you have to pay the additional tax. After we forward your case, the audit staff will contact you within five to six weeks to explain the audit process and your rights. If you don’t contact us within the 60-day period, you'll lose your right to appeal our decision before payment of tax.

If you don't contact us within 60 days, you must pay the additional tax before we'll consider reversing the changes. You can then file a claim for refund. You must submit the claim within three years from the date you filed the tax return, or within two years from the date of your last payment for this tax.

Will I be charged interest on the money I owe?
To avoid interest charges, full pay the amount owed by the due date stated on the payment coupon. If you don’t pay in full by that date, interest will accrue on the unpaid balance from the date the return was due.

Will I receive a penalty if I can't pay the full amount?
Yes, you will receive a late payment penalty. You can call us at the number given on your notice if you can’t pay the full amount shown in your specific notice because of circumstances beyond your control. Contact us by the due date of your payment and, depending on your situation, we may be able to remove the penalty. See Penalty Relief for what information you need to have available.

What is the Recovery Rebate Credit?
The recovery rebate credit is a one-time benefit for people who didn't receive the full economic stimulus payment in 2008 and whose circumstances may have changed, making them eligible now for some or all of the unpaid portion.

Tips for next year

Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-File.

Perform a quick check on the amount you have withheld to make sure you won't owe money next year. You can use this IRS Tax Withholding Estimator.

Product Images

Need Help?

  • You can authorize someone to contact the IRS on your behalf.
  • See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.
  • If you can’t find what you need online, you can call the IRS at the 800, 866, or 888 number listed on the notice.