Understanding Your CP11T Notice


What this notice is about

You owe money on your taxes due to a miscalculation.

What you need to do

  • Follow the instructions in your notice.
  • If you agree with the changes we made:
    • Pay by the date on the notice.
    • Pay online at Payments.
    • If you can't pay the full amount, make payment arrangements online
    • Correct your copy of your tax return, but do not send it to us.
  • If you don't agree:
    • Call at the phone number on your notice. 
    • You can find helpful information in the answers to common questions below.

Frequently asked questions

What caused my tax return to change?

The explanation is on the notice. If you need additional information, you can call us at the phone number on your notice.

Will I be charged interest on the money I owe?

The interest amount is included on page one of your notice. If you don't pay in full by that date, additional interest will accrue on the unpaid balance from the return due date.

Will I be penalized if I can't pay the full amount?

Yes, you will incur a late payment penalty. Depending on your situation, we may be able to remove the penalty. Call us by the due date of your payment. See our Penalty Relief page for more information.

Tips for next year

Consider filing your taxes electronically. You can avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.

To avoid the same issue next year, correct your copy of this year's tax return. If you use a tax preparer, give them a copy or have them correct their copy.

Need Help?

  • You can authorize someone to contact the IRS on your behalf.
  • If you can’t find what you need online, call the IRS number at the top of your notice or letter.