Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Understanding your CP12M Notice

We made changes to the computation of the Making Work Pay and/or Government Retiree Credits on your return.

What you need to do

  • Review the notice, and compare our changes to the information on your tax return.
  • If you agree with the changes we made, do nothing; you should receive a refund check in 4-6 weeks, as long as you don't owe other tax or debts we're required to collect.
  • If you don't agree, call 1-800-829-8374 to review your account or contact us by mail. Include any correspondence or documentation.

You may want to...

  • Download copies of the following materials (if they weren't included with your notice):
  • Call 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676) to have forms and publications mailed to you.

Answers to Common Questions

What is the Making Work Pay Credit?
The Making Work Pay Credit is a refundable tax credit that can go up to $400 for individuals and to $800 for married taxpayers.

How can taxpayers get this credit?
Even if your federal income tax withholding was reduced because of the credit, you must complete a Schedule M, Making Work Pay, and claim the credit on your income tax return to benefit from it.

What happens if I don't receive a paycheck from an employer?
You can claim the credit on your 2010 income tax return by filing a Schedule M, Making Work Pay.

What is the Government Retiree Credit?
Taxpayers can take a credit of $250 ($500 if married and both spouses qualify) if you or your spouse received a pension or annuity payment in 2010 for service performed for the U.S. Government or any U.S. state or local government, and the service was not covered by social security. But you cannot take the credit if you and your spouse both received a $250 economic recovery payment.

Tips for next year

  • In 2011, when you file your taxes for tax year 2010, complete Schedule M to see if you are eligible for the Making Work Pay and Government Retiree Credits.
  • Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

How to get help