Understanding Your CP12T Notice

What this notice is about

You’re due a refund due to a miscalculation.

What you need to do

  • Follow the instructions in your notice.
  • If you agree with the changes we made:
    • You don’t need to respond.
    • You should receive a refund check in 4-6 weeks if you don't owe other tax or debts we're required to collect.
    • Correct your copy of your tax return, but do not send it to us.
  • If you don't agree:
    • You can call or write to us using the information on your notice.

Answers to common questions

What caused my tax return to change?

The explanation is on the notice. If you need additional information, you can call us at the phone number on your notice.

Tips for next year

Consider filing your taxes electronically. You can avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases, you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.

To avoid the same issue next year, correct your copy of this year's tax return. If you use a tax preparer, give them a copy or have them correct their copy.

Need Help?

  • You can authorize someone to contact the IRS on your behalf.
  • See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.
  • If you can’t find what you need online, you can call the IRS at the 800, 866, or 888 number listed on the notice.