Understanding Your CP13R Notice


What this notice is about

We made changes to your return involving the Recovery Rebate Credit. You're not due a refund nor do you owe an additional amount because of our changes. Your account balance is zero.

What you need to do

  • Read your notice carefully — it will explain how the Recovery Rebate Credit relates to the changes we made.
  • Review the notice and compare our changes to the information on your tax return.
  • Correct the copy of your tax return that you kept for your records.
  • You don't need to do anything if you agree with the notice.
  • If you disagree with the notice, please contact us at the toll-free number listed on its top right corner (within 60 days of its date).

You may want to

  • Learn more about the Recovery Rebate Credit.

  • Frequently asked questions

    What is the Recovery Rebate Credit?
    It is a refundable credit that relates to the 2008 economic stimulus payment. Generally, a refundable credit increases the amount of a refund received or it reduces the amount of taxes owed.

    What should I do if I disagree with the changes you made?
    Contact us at the toll free number listed on the top right corner of your notice if you disagree with the changes we made.

    What should I do if I need to make another correction to my tax return?
    You'll need to file an amended return to make a correction.

    Tips for next year

    Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.

    Perform a quick check on the amount you have withheld to make sure you won't owe money next year. You can use the Tax Withholding Estimator.

Need Help?

  • You can authorize someone to contact the IRS on your behalf.
  • See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.
  • If you can’t find what you need online, you can call the IRS at the 800, 866, or 888 number listed on the notice.