You are receiving this notice because you did not respond to a previous request for missing or incomplete information on your return.
What you need to do
- Send the incomplete/missing information described in the “About your return” section on the notice.
- Include the contact voucher at the end of the notice.
- Send the amount due to avoid interest charges.
You may want to
- If the reason your return was incomplete was beyond your control, send us a signed explanation with any supporting documentation.
Answers to Common Questions
Q. What if I disagree with the penalty?
A. Send a written statement with any supporting documentation to the address on the notice.
Tax publications you may find useful
- Publication 1, Your Rights as a Taxpayer (PDF)
- Form 8716, Election To Have a Tax Year Other Than a Required Tax Year (PDF)
- Form W-7A Application for Taxpayer Identification Number for Pending U.S. Adoptions (PDF)
- Form W-7 (SP) Solicitud de Número de Identificación Personal del Contribuyente del Servicio de Impuestos Internos (PDF)
- Full list of tax forms and instructions
How to get help
- Call the 800, 866 or 888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
- Authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (PDF)
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.