We believe you incorrectly claimed one or more deductions or credits. As a result, your refund is less than you expected.
What you need to do
- There is nothing to do at this time. Examination will review your return and either release the refund held or contact you requesting information.
You may want to...
- Review this notice with your tax preparer.
- Read about the deduction or credit in Publication 17.
- Call us for clarification at the number listed on your notice.
Answers to Common Questions
What is the notice telling me?
Based on the information shown on your tax return, it appears you haven't met the requirements for claiming one or more deductions or credits. As a result, your refund is less than you expected.
What do I have to do?
There is nothing to do at this time. Examination will contact you if additional information is needed to justify the credit or deduction claimed on your return.
Tips for next year
Prior to filing your return, double check to see if all of your deductions are allowed by law and reported on the correct line of your tax return.
How to get help
- Call the 800, 866 or 888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
- Authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (PDF)
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.