We have increased the amount of tax you owe because we believe you incorrectly claimed one or more deductions or credits.
What you need to do
- Review your notice and compare our changes to your tax return.
- Complete and return the Response form.
You may want to...
- Review this notice with your tax preparer.
- Read about the deduction or credit in Publication 17.
- Call us for clarification at the number listed on your notice.
Answers to Common Questions
What is the notice telling me?
Based on the information shown on your tax return, it appears you have not met the requirements for claiming one or more deductions or credits. As a result, your total tax is more than you expected.
What do I have to do?
Review the requirements for the deduction or credit we adjusted. Return the Response form indicating thereon your agreement or disagreement with the changes we made.
If you feel your tax return was correct as filed, send us the documentation listed on page 2 of the notice to verify you qualify for the exemption or credit.
If you agree with the changes we made, pay the amount due by the date requested on the notice.
Tips for next year
Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.
- You can authorize someone to contact the IRS on your behalf.
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.
If you can’t find what you need online, you can call the IRS at the 800, 866, or 888 number listed on the notice.