We denied your request to extend the time to file your Exempt Organization Return because your Form 8868, Application for Extension of Time To File an Exempt Organization Return, didn't meet one or more of the requirements.
Your request didn’t meet one or more of the requirements:
- Postmark your request by the previously established due date.
- Have your request signed by an authorized person.
- Deposit estimated tax due by the previously established due date.
- Show reasonable cause for requiring another extension.
- Establish reasons that prevented you from filing by the extended due date.
Your previous due date still applies.
What you need to do
- File your required Exempt Organization Return immediately to limit any late filing penalties. If your Exempt Organization Return is filed after the due date of the return (including any extensions), the return is considered late and subject to late filing penalties.
- We encourage you to use electronic filing – the fastest and easiest way to file.
You may want to
- Visit /Charities-&-Non-Profits to learn about approved e-File providers, what types of returns can be filed electronically, and whether you are required to file electronically.
Answers to Common Questions
Q. Where can I go for more information about tax-exempt organizations?
A. For more information on Employee Benefit Plans, see Tax Information for Charities & Other Non-Profits.
Q. Can I get help over the phone?
A. If you have questions and/or need help, you can call 1-877-829-5500. Personal assistance is available Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. CT.
Tips for next year
Be sure to sign and mail your Form 8868 with a reason you need an additional 3-month extension on or before the due date of your first extension.
Tax publications you may find useful
How to get help
- Call the 800, 866 or 888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
- Authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (.pdf).
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.