Understanding your CP24T Notice

What this notice is about

We changed your return and you may have a credit because of these changes.

What you need to do

  • Follow the instructions in your notice.

  • If you agree with the changes we made, correct your tax return copy; don’t send it to us.

  • If you don’t agree, you can call or write to us using the information on your notice.

Answers to common questions

How do I check the status of my refund?

You can do this online.

I do not pay estimated taxes. Why did I get this notice?

Common causes are an incorrect entry on the estimated tax line of the tax return, or an incorrect payment applied to your account. If this happened, call us at the number on your notice.

What should I do if there is a payment listed on the notice that I didn’t make?

Call us at the number on your notice. You'll need to return any refund you receive by mistake. See Tax Topic 161 - Returning an Erroneous Refund – Paper Check or Direct Deposit.

How do I change my estimated tax payments?

Complete Form 1040-ES, Estimated Tax for Individuals (PDF). See Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax (PDF) for more information.

I made estimated tax payments, so why are you charging me a failure-to-pay penalty?

You didn’t pay enough tax throughout the year, either through withholding or by making estimated tax payments. See our Estimated Taxes page, or Tax Topic 306 - Penalty for Underpayment of Estimated Tax.

Tips for next year

Consider filing your taxes electronically. You can avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.

To avoid the same issue next year, correct your tax return copy. If you use a tax preparer, give them a copy or have them correct their copy.

Before filing your return, you can verify the estimated tax payments applied to the year by viewing your tax account.

Need Help?

  • You can authorize someone to contact the IRS on your behalf.
  • See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.
  • If you can’t find what you need online, you can call the IRS at the 800, 866, or 888 number listed on the notice.