Understanding your CP25T Notice

What this notice is about

You're not due a refund nor do you owe an additional amount from changes we made to your return.

What you need to do

  • Follow the instructions in your notice.

  • If you agree with our changes, correct your tax return copy; don’t send it to us.

  • If you don’t agree, you can call or write to us using the information on your notice.

Answers to common questions

Why did my tax return change?

The explanation is in your notice. If you need more information, you can call the phone number on your notice.

How do I change my estimated tax payments?

Complete Form 1040-ES, Estimated Tax for Individuals (PDF). See Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax (PDF) for more information.

What should I do if I need to make another correction to my tax return?

File Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return (PDF).

Tips for next year

Consider filing your taxes electronically. You can avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.

To avoid the same issue next year, correct your tax return copy. If you use a tax preparer, give them a copy or have them correct their copy.

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

Need Help?

  • You can authorize someone to contact the IRS on your behalf.
  • See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.
  • If you can’t find what you need online, you can call the IRS at the 800, 866, or 888 number listed on the notice.