IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Understanding Your CP72 Notice

You may have claimed a frivolous position on your tax return. A frivolous return is identified when some information on the return has no basis in the law.

What you need to do

  • File a corrected return within 30 days of the notice

You may want to

  • Review this notice with your tax preparer
  • Read about deductions and credits in Publication 17
  • Call us at the number shown on your notice
  • Review the Publication 2105 you received

Answers to Common Questions

What is this notice telling me?
Based on information on your return, it appears you have taken a frivolous position. A frivolous position is one that has no basis in the law.

What do I have to do?
Within 30 days of the notice date, you must file a corrected return removing the frivolous position. If you don't, a penalty of $5000 can be assessed on each frivolous return filed.

Tax publications you may find useful

The Truth About Frivolous Tax Arguments

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 22-May-2016

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)



How to get help