Understanding Your Letter 5599
We are sending you this letter because we received a copy of the Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement, your Health Insurance Marketplace sent you that shows advance payments of the premium tax credit were made to your or your family's health insurance company to reduce your premium costs in 2014. You were required to file Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit, with your 2014 federal income tax return to reconcile these advance payments. However, our records show you filed your 2014 tax return without a Form 8962 attached. This letter tells you that if advance payments of the premium tax credit were made to your or your family’s insurance company in calendar year 2015, you must file Form 8962 with your 2015 return.
What you must do
- Read your letter carefully.
- Review the situation to see if you agree with the information in the letter.
- File a Form 8962 (.pdf) with your 2015 tax return if advance payments of the premium tax credit were made to your or your family’s insurance company in calendar year 2015.
- You should receive a Form 1095-A (.pdf) from your Marketplace to complete Form 8962. Forms 1095-A for calendar year 2015 healthcare coverage purchased at a marketplace are required to be mailed to individual taxpayers on or before January 31, 2016. If you do not receive your Form 1095-A, log in to your HealthCare.gov or state Marketplace account or call your Marketplace call center.
- You can correct your 2014 tax return by filing a Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return (.pdf), with a tax year 2014 Form 8962.
You may want to
- Visit IRS.gov/aca for more information on filing a 2014 tax return with Form 8962.
- Visit IRS.gov/formspubs for more information on filing an amended return. Amended returns cannot be filed electronically.
- Call us at 866-682-7451, extension 569, if you have additional questions.
Answers to common questions
What is the Premium Tax Credit?
If you, your spouse, or any dependent you can claim on your tax return enrolled in 2014 health insurance coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace, you may be eligible for the premium tax credit. This tax credit helps make health insurance coverage more affordable for people with moderate incomes.
What is the Form 1095-A?
You receive a Form 1095-A when you or a family member enroll in health insurance coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace. Forms 1095-A provides the information you need to complete Form 8962. If you or your family members enrolled in the Marketplace in more than one qualified health plan policy, you will receive a Form 1095-A for each policy. If you receive a Form 1095A, check the information on the form carefully. Please contact your Marketplace if you have questions about its accuracy.
What is the Form 8962?
If you received the benefit of advance credit payments, you must file a tax return and use a Form 8962 to reconcile the amount of advance credit payments made on your behalf with the amount of your actual premium tax credit.