The International course is an optional specialty module with emphasis on international tax law for nonmilitary U.S. residents living outside the U.S., especially those served by U.S. embassies and consulates. The prerequisite for this course is certification at the Advanced level. Volunteers assisting taxpayers with these income issues are required to take this course, which includes the following content:
- Other Income
- Foreign Tax Credit
Other Training Materials, Resources and Tools...
- Cancellation of Debt (optional Link & Link Taxes module)
- Health Savings Account (optional Link & Learn Taxes module)
- International Comprehensive Problem & Exercises (Publication 4491-W)
- Practice using the tax preparation software (accessible via Link & Learn Taxes - Practice Lab)
- Practice using the interview tips in Publication 4012, Volunteer Resource Guide
- Detailed discussion about the standards of conduct and signing the volunteer agreement
- The testing, retesting and certification requirements (Form 6744)
- Electronic resources on IRS.gov (i.e. Form & Publications Resource page, Partner & Volunteer Resource Center, searchable Publication 17, etc.)
- Search IRS.gov to check-out the Interactive Tax Assistant, Tax Withholding Estimator, Sales tax deduction calculator, Interactive EITC Assistant, Form 1040 Central, Where's My Refund, and more.