Instructions for Form 1042 - Notices

Privacy Act and Paperwork Reduction Act Notice.

We ask for the information on this form to carry out the Internal Revenue laws of the United States. Sections 1441, 1442, and 1446 (for PTPs) require withholding agents to report and pay over to the IRS taxes withheld from certain U.S. source income of foreign persons. Form 1042 is used to report the amount of withholding that must be paid over. Form 1042-S is used to report the amount of income and withholding to the payee. Section 6109 requires you to provide your identifying number on the return. Routine uses of this information include giving it to the Department of Justice for civil and criminal litigation, and to cities, states, the District of Columbia, and U.S. commonwealths and possessions for use in administering their tax laws. We may also disclose this information to other countries under a tax treaty, to federal and state agencies to enforce federal nontax criminal laws, or to federal law enforcement and intelligence agencies to combat terrorism. If you fail to provide this information in a timely manner, you may be liable for penalties.

You are not required to provide the information requested on a form that is subject to the Paperwork Reduction Act unless the form displays a valid OMB control number. Books or records relating to a form or its instructions must be retained as long as their contents may become material in the administration of any Internal Revenue law. Generally, tax returns and return information are confidential, as required by section 6103.

The time needed to complete and file these forms will vary depending on individual circumstances. The estimated average time is: Recordkeeping, 10 hr., 31 min.; Learning about the law or the form, 2 hr., 25 min.; Preparing the form, 4 hr., 34 min.; and Copying, assembling, and sending the form to the IRS, 32 min.

If you have comments concerning the accuracy of these time estimates or suggestions for making this form simpler, we would be happy to hear from you. You can send us comments from Click on “More Information” and then on “Give us feedback.” You can write to the Internal Revenue Service, Tax Forms and Publications, SE:W:CAR:MP:TFP, 1111 Constitution Ave. NW, IR-6526, Washington, DC 20224. Do not send the form to this address. Instead, see Where and When To File ,earlier.

More Online Instructions