Instructions for Form 943 - Introductory Material

Future Developments

For the latest information about developments related to Form 943 and its instructions, such as legislation enacted after they were published, go to

What's New

Social security and Medicare tax for 2015.   The social security tax rate is 6.2% each for the employee and employer, unchanged from 2014. The social security wage base limit is $118,500.

  The Medicare tax rate is 1.45% each for the employee and employer, unchanged from 2014. There is no wage base limit for Medicare tax.


Additional Medicare Tax withholding.   In addition to withholding Medicare tax at 1.45%, you must withhold a 0.9% Additional Medicare Tax from wages you pay to an employee in excess of $200,000 in a calendar year. You are required to begin withholding Additional Medicare Tax in the pay period in which you pay wages in excess of $200,000 to an employee and continue to withhold it each pay period until the end of the calendar year. Additional Medicare Tax is only imposed on the employee. There is no employer share of Additional Medicare Tax. All wages that are subject to Medicare tax are subject to Additional Medicare Tax withholding if paid in excess of the $200,000 withholding threshold.

   For more information on what wages are subject to Medicare tax, see the chart, Special Rules for Various Types of Services and Payments, in section 15 of Pub. 15. For more information on Additional Medicare Tax, visit and enter “Additional Medicare Tax” in the search box.

Social security wage base for 2016.   The maximum amount of wages subject to the social security tax for 2016 will be discussed in the December 2015 revision of Pub. 51.

COBRA premium assistance credit.   Effective for tax periods beginning after December 31, 2013, the credit for COBRA premium assistance payments can't be claimed on Form 943. Instead, after filing your Form 943, file Form 943-X, Adjusted Employer's Annual Federal Tax Return for Agricultural Employees or Claim for Refund, to claim the COBRA premium assistance credit. Filing a Form 943-X before filing a Form 943 for the year may result in errors or delays in processing your Form 943-X. For more information, visit and enter “COBRA” in the search box.

If you are entitled to claim the COBRA premium assistance credit, but aren't otherwise required to file Form 943, file a Form 943 with -0- entered on line 15 before filing a Form 943-X to claim the credit.

If you change your business name, business address, or responsible party.   For a definition of "responsible party" and how to notify IRS of a change in the identity of your responsible party, see the Form 8822-B instructions. Notify the IRS immediately if you change your business name, business address, or responsible party. Write to the IRS office where you file your returns (using the Without a payment address under Where To File, later) to notify the IRS of any name change. See Pub. 1635 to see if you need to apply for a new EIN. Complete and mail Form 8822-B to notify the IRS of an address change.

Correcting a previously filed Form 943.   If you discover an error on a previously filed Form 943, make the correction using Form 943-X. Form 943-X is filed separately from Form 943. For more information, see section 9 of Pub. 51 or visit and enter “correcting employment taxes” in the search box.

Federal tax deposits must be made by electronic funds transfer (EFT).   You must use EFT to make all federal tax deposits. Generally, an EFT is made using the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS). If you don't want to use EFTPS, you can arrange for your tax professional, financial institution, payroll service, or other trusted third party to make electronic deposits on your behalf. Also, you may arrange for your financial institution to initiate a same-day wire payment on your behalf. EFTPS is a free service provided by the Department of Treasury. Services provided by your tax professional, financial institution, payroll service, or other third party may have a fee.

  For more information on making tax deposits, see section 7 of Pub. 51. To get more information about EFTPS or to enroll in EFTPS, visit the EFTPS website at, or call 1-800-555-4477 or 1-800-733-4829 (TDD). Additional information about EFTPS is also available in Pub. 966.

For an EFTPS deposit to be on time, you must submit the deposit by 8 p.m. Eastern time the day before the date the deposit is due.

Same-day wire payment option.

If you fail to submit a deposit transaction on EFTPS by 8 p.m. Eastern time the day before the date a deposit is due, you can still make your deposit on time by using the Federal Tax Collection Service (FTCS). To use the same-day wire payment method, you will need to make arrangements with your financial institution ahead of time. Please check with your financial institution regarding availability, deadlines, and costs. Your financial institution may charge you a fee for payments made this way. To learn more about the information you will need to provide your financial institution to make a same-day wire payment, visit the IRS website at and click on Same-day wire.

Timeliness of federal tax deposits.

If a deposit is required to be made on a day that isn't a business day, the deposit is considered timely if it is made by the close of the next business day. A business day is any day other than a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday. The term “legal holiday” for deposit purposes includes only those legal holidays in the District of Columbia. Legal holidays in the District of Columbia are provided in Pub. 51.

Electronic filing and payment.   Now, more than ever before, businesses can enjoy the benefits of filing tax returns and paying their federal taxes electronically. Whether you rely on a tax professional or handle your own taxes, the IRS offers you convenient programs to make filing and paying easier. Spend less time and worry on taxes and more time running your business. Use e-file and EFTPS to your benefit.
  • For e-file, visit the IRS website at for additional information.

  • For EFTPS, visit or call EFTPS Customer Service at 1-800-555-4477 or 1-800-733-4829 (TDD) for additional information.

If you are filing your tax return or paying your federal taxes electronically, a valid employer identification number (EIN) is required at the time the return is filed or the payment is made. If a valid EIN isn't provided, the return or payment won't be processed. This may result in penalties.

Electronic funds withdrawal (EFW).

If you file Form 943 electronically, you can e-file and e-pay (electronic funds withdrawal) the balance due in a single step using tax preparation software or through a tax professional. However, don't use EFW to make federal tax deposits. For more information on paying your taxes using EFW, visit the IRS website at A fee may be charged to file electronically.

Credit or debit card payments.   Employers can pay the balance due shown on Form 943 by credit or debit card. Don't use a credit or debit card to make federal tax deposits. For more information on paying your taxes with a credit or debit card, visit the IRS website at

Online payment agreement.   You may be eligible to apply for an installment agreement online if you have a balance due when you file your return. For more information, see What if you can't pay in full, later.

Paid preparers must sign Form 943.   Paid preparers must complete and sign the paid preparer's section of Form 943.

Outsourcing payroll duties.   You are responsible to ensure that tax returns are filed and deposits and payments are made, even if you contract with a third party to perform these acts. You remain responsible if the third party fails to perform any required action. If you choose to outsource any of your payroll and related tax duties (that is, withholding, reporting, and paying over social security, Medicare, FUTA, and income taxes) to a third-party payer, such as a payroll service provider or reporting agent, visit and enter “outsourcing payroll duties” in the search box for helpful information on this topic.

Disregarded entities and qualified subchapter S subsidiaries (QSubs).   Eligible single-owner disregarded entities and QSubs are treated as separate entities for employment tax purposes. Eligible single-member entities that have not elected to be taxed as corporations must report and pay employment taxes on wages paid to their employees using the entities' own names and EINs. See Regulations sections 1.1361-4(a)(7) and 301.7701-2(c)(2) (iv).

How to get forms and publications.   You can get most IRS forms and publications at

Telephone help.   You can call the IRS Business and Specialty Tax Line toll free at 1-800-829-4933 or 1-800-829-4059 (TDD/TTY for persons who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech disability) Monday–Friday from 7:00 a.m.–7:00 p.m. local time (Alaska and Hawaii follow Pacific time) for answers to your questions about completing Form 943 and tax deposit rules.

Photographs of Missing Children

The IRS is a proud partner with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. Photographs of missing children selected by the Center may appear in instructions on pages that would otherwise be blank. You can help bring these children home by looking at the photographs and calling 1-800-THE-LOST (1-800-843-5678) if you recognize a child.

More Online Instructions