- 2.144.1 Capacity Management Policy
- 18.104.22.168 Policy
- 22.214.171.124.1 Administration
- 126.96.36.199.2 Purpose of Policy
- 188.8.131.52.3 Scope
- 184.108.40.206.4 Mandates
- 220.127.116.11.4.1 Applicability
- 18.104.22.168.4.2 Completion of Capacity Management Process
- 22.214.171.124.4.3 Capacity Management Subprocesses
- 126.96.36.199.4.3.1 Business Capacity
- 188.8.131.52.4.3.2 Service Capacity
- 184.108.40.206.4.3.3 Component Capacity
- 220.127.116.11.4.3.4 Enterprise Demand Forecasting
- 18.104.22.168.4.4 Engagement with Solution Engineering
Part 2. Information Technology
Chapter 144. 4 Capacity Management
Section 1. Capacity Management Policy
July 27, 2015
(1) This transmits an update to IRM 2.144.1, Capacity Management, Capacity Management Policy.
(1) This transmittal updates the initial IRM publication of the Capacity Management Policy, by adding Enterprise Demand Forecasting to the policy statement. Only editorial changes are contained in this update, per IRM 22.214.171.124.2(1)b
Terence V. Milholland
Chief Technology Officer
Capacity Management Policy.
Solution Engineering (SE) is responsible for the development, implementation, and maintenance, of this policy. This policy is approved by the Chief Technology Officer. All updates are accomplished through the Director, Solution Engineering. All proposed changes to this policy must be submitted to the Chief, SE Process Maturity Practice Group.
This policy establishes the organizational policy for planning and performing the Capacity Management process to ensure that all current and future capacity and performance aspects of the Information Technology (IT) infrastructure are provided to meet business requirements at acceptable cost. The Capacity Management process ensures IT infrastructure is provided at the right time in the right volume at the right price, and ensures that IT is used in the most efficient manner.
This policy is applicable to all IT organizations with responsibilities for Capacity Management activities.
This policy contains the following mandates:
All IT organizations responsible for Capacity Management activities shall follow the Capacity Management process to ensure all activities and work products are produced.
Responsible IT organizations shall ensure that the following key activities are performed in accordance with the defined Capacity Management Process:
Demand management for business, service, and component capacity activities
Modeling for business, service, and component capacity activities
Application sizing for business, service, and component capacity activities
Capacity planning for business, service, and component capacity activities
Capacity monitoring and analysis
Implementation of capacity-related changes
Control of storage capacity monitoring data for capacity activities
Provide to management information about Capacity Management performance and operations
Capacity Management is made up of 4 processes.
Business Capacity Management process - The Business capacity process shall be used to forecast capacity needs based on business events.
Service Capacity Management - The Service Capacity Management process shall be used to ensure capacity levels support established service level targets.
Component Capacity Management - The Component Capacity Management process shall be used to ensure capacity levels are provided for the individual IT device level.