Are you eligible for an Economic Impact Payment?

Notice: Historical Content

This is an archival or historical document and may not reflect current law, policies or procedures.

Updated on October 28, 2020

If your income is below $12,200, or $24,400 if you're married, you probably don't file a tax return. But, even if you aren't normally required to file a tax return, you may still be eligible for a $1,200 per person Economic Impact Payment and $500 per qualifying child.

You must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or qualifying resident alien and have a work-eligible Social Security number. You can't be claimed as someone else's dependent.

You won't owe taxes on the payment and it doesn't affect eligibility for federal government assistance or benefits.

Register for a payment by using the IRS's free Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here tool by November 21 at 3 p.m. Eastern time.