Information For...

For you and your family
Individuals abroad and more
EINs and other information

Filing For Individuals

Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Single and Joint Filers With No Dependents
Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate


Request for Transcript of Tax Returns
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Installment Agreement Request
Wage and Tax Statement

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Employer Identification Number (ASL) - YouTube video text script

Hi, I’m Patti and I work for the IRS.

If you’re starting a business, you need an EIN.

That’s an Employer Identification Number.

Your EIN is used to identify your business for tax purposes.

You can now apply for an Employer Identification Number online through a simple, question-driven process.   

It’s free, and you receive your EIN immediately after completing the online questionnaire.

Even if you already have an EIN, remember, if the ownership or structure of your business has changed, you will probably need a new number.

Fortunately, you can find out all you need to know about Employer Identification Numbers, such as how to cancel yours or what to do if you misplace it at, Keyword: “EIN.”