If you received a large refund in the past, you may be able to get more money in your paychecks by using the Withholding Calculator.
Due to major changes to the tax law, the IRS encourages taxpayers, including those of you who typically receive big tax refunds, to do a paycheck checkup to make sure you’re have the right amount of tax taken out of your pay.
Changes that could affect refunds include:
- Reduced tax rates and changed tax brackets.
- Eliminated personal exemptions.
- An increased standard deduction.
- Expanded and increased Child Tax Credit.
- A new credit for dependents who can’t be claimed for the Child Tax Credit.
- Some limited or discontinued deductions.
Don’t forget to check your state withholding too.